Tutorial: T-shirt to Newborn Gown

by This is Carrie on August 11, 2008

Here you go!  Let me know if you have any questions or need any clarifications.

Newborn Gown Pattern (pdf)

You will probably have to choose “shrink to printable area” to get it the right size. It’s the right size if the top is 5″ wide and the sleeve is 7 1/2″ across “join” line.   Lately, I have been lengthening the pattern by 14″ instead of the 12 1/2″ as stated on the bodice patterns.

Pattern Instructions & Sewing Instructions (pdf)

UPDATED TUTORIAL HERE (2011)

If you make a gown using this tutorial, please consider adding it to the Flickr Group Rockin’ Recycled Baby Gowns.

{ 10 trackbacks }

Making Stuff: Rockin’ Baby Gown-Bob Dylan Edition | This Mama Makes Stuff
December 1, 2010 at 2:12 pm
too many choices « Babies everywhere…but none that call me Mama
February 11, 2011 at 5:33 pm
A little bit of this…a little bit of that… « Chris and Sarah's Adoption Journey
February 14, 2011 at 6:54 am
< 17 BFPs! Congratulations ladies!> Fertile myrtles soon-to-be preggy turtles thread - TTC Groups & Discussions Forum (Page 2974)
May 12, 2011 at 11:58 am
I am big bird. Check out my nest. « Skippedydoodah
September 4, 2011 at 11:13 am

Custom T-Shirts July 28, 2009 at 11:03 am

Its so Amazing. these all are custom t-shirts?

Attiq Ur Rehman July 29, 2009 at 4:43 am

Thanks for the tutorial and this tutorial shows the new feature of the design in T-shirt. Keep adding some more design.
Web Design Quote

Susie August 9, 2009 at 1:24 am

Thanks for the pattern. I used it to make a baby gown out of 1/2 yard of flannel here: http://swishina.blogspot.com/2009/07/baby-gown.html

Halahblue August 15, 2009 at 12:37 am

Thanks for the pattern and tutorial. I'm trying this tonight. Just finished tracing up the full sized pattern and now I'm resting my puffy feet before I start pinning and cutting.

Also, for those having PDF issues — go into your print options and select shrink to printable area or fit to printable area instead of None. I did "none" the first time and it was huge. When you choose the shrink option, it prints at 70% and is perfectly sized.

Halahblue August 31, 2009 at 1:34 am

Just wanted to stop back and say I've made two of these so far and am loving them! They come out adorable and are so easy. Thanks for creating and sharing the pattern. You rock!

Heather August 31, 2009 at 3:16 pm

Thanks for the heads up on shrinking to fit the page. Like Jennifer, mine was printing larger than the page. I then went and drew back in the missing sections but that made for a HUGE pattern and I was quite fearful of it being TOO big for a newborn. Shrank to fit page and THIS looks like it will be perfect.

THANKS!

j337 September 11, 2009 at 6:18 am

Thanks for the how to and your nice effort. My Blog : earn money chao!

disa September 21, 2009 at 11:36 am
Candace January 31, 2010 at 1:31 pm

This looks awesome! I just found you blog today and am totally wanting to make some fun recycled tshirt gowns for my little boy due in April!

Candace Reply:

PS- I just posted this project on my blog!

Amy March 22, 2010 at 9:39 am

Just wanted to thank you for the pattern! I ended up changing it up to better suit my purposes, but I linked to it on my blog. http://urbanpioneerwoman.blogspot.com/2010/03/last-of-baby-items-at-least-for-while.html

Jodi March 25, 2010 at 8:47 am

Thanks so much for the tutorial and pattern. It was easy follow, and I can’t wait to make more. I posted a link on my blog. If that is not ok with you, please let me know, and I will take it down!

Jessica April 7, 2010 at 12:49 pm

Do you use a zigzag stitch on the whole gown (seams, bottom, etc)? Or is this just for embellishment on the neckline and sleeves? If you use a straight stitch to sew the seams together, is the knit still able to stretch some? I am new to sewing and newly pregnant, so while I really want to make these, I have a million questions!

Nicole April 8, 2010 at 2:05 pm

I’ve tried clicking on all your links for tutorials and patterns and none of them work (not even links anymore). Is there some permission field I’m missing or something? I’m wanting to make some baby gowns for my upcoming little boy since all the ones in the store will drown most newborns.

This is Carrie
Twitter:
Reply:

Nicole, not sure what’s happening. I just clicked on all the links in the post and they worked. They are downloadable pdf’s. I can try to e-mail them to you if you want.

Nicole April 8, 2010 at 2:07 pm

(surfing to try and find the tutorials some other way and discovered that you’re a triathlete?! Me too! I LOVE tris!!!! They are my therapy :) That’s been the hardest part of this pregnancy for me- sitting out this race season. How cool! I have a SIL who is a triathlete and has a great sew/craft blog too… sewdangcute.blogspot.com)

Paige April 17, 2010 at 10:07 pm

Thanks for the great pattern & tutorial! The gown turned out so cute and it was so easy!

han June 14, 2010 at 7:31 am

this is awesome – thanks for sharing :)

MW June 24, 2010 at 7:25 am

I’d love to try making this nightgown but I can’t get the sewing instructions to open. The pattern and pattern instructions open fine. Is there something up with the pdf?

this is carrie
Twitter:
Reply:

I just checked it and it’s opening fine for me. Not sure what’s going on. I will attach in an e-mail to you and see if that works.

Cherie July 25, 2010 at 2:00 am

I am trying to print this on A4 (european) sized paper, and using the shrink to fit option. the sleeve measurement comes out perfect, but the top front 5″ measurement doesn’t seem to be right. Do I measure 5″ all the way across both sides of the top near the neckline? or do I measure 5″ across on one side (one pattern piece)? or is it measured at the bottom of the pattern piece? I can’t seem to find 5″ anywhere.

Cherie Reply:

nevermind, I think I got it. 5″ on each pattern piece measured across at the “extend” line. It works the same on A4 paper, I just have pregnancy brain!!

Jana September 12, 2010 at 5:56 pm

Hey so i thought you should know I featured this project on my craft blog. I still don’t know how you made these, it was a disaster for me but yours look lovely! Thanks for sharing!
Jana

This is Carrie
Twitter:
Reply:

I’m so sorry you couldn’t figure it out from my instructions. I’d love to hear what you think was the problem so I can add clarification where needed.

Shelly January 31, 2011 at 9:47 am

Thanks for posting the instructions. I made one last night for my soon to be grandson. I’d post pics but don’t have a blog. Thanks again these are awesome!

MelissaS February 26, 2011 at 10:26 am

Hi, i’d love to make these with the cuffs. Do you have a tutorial for doing the gown with cuffs??

Thanks!

This is Carrie
Twitter:
Reply:

I am working on the updated pattern and tutorial this week! Stay tuned.

MelissaS Reply:

Thanks, can’t wait! :-)

Kylie March 3, 2011 at 5:16 pm

I am having the same problem that others were with the pattern – it is just garbled text when I try to open it…excitedly awaiting the new version, my little boy is due in June and this is exactly what I’ve been looking for!!

This is Carrie
Twitter:
Reply:

THe updated pattern should be ready next week, but until then, I have loaded all the pdf’s onto a different host site and changed the links so they work now!

Laci Reply:

Any luck with the version with the cuffs? I am really excited for the update!

This is Carrie
Twitter:
Reply:

Please keep bugging me! I am going to do it. Hopefully this week!

Laura Reply:

Thanks so much for sharing this pattern and tutorial. Is the updated version (with the cuffs) ready yet?

Kylie March 4, 2011 at 8:03 am

Wow, thank you so much! It worked perfectly this morning. I am off to raid my husband’s closet to make about a dozen of these. :)

Meagan
Twitter:
April 5, 2011 at 12:37 pm

Is there a chance I could get you to email me the pattern pdf file and the “he’s all boy” ballcap pattern pdf? I do not subscribe to Scribe and would really like to have them! :) Thanks so much!!!

Karen April 8, 2011 at 1:23 pm

Thanks for sharing this pattern. I can’t wait to try it out!

Rubber City Homestead April 25, 2011 at 11:42 am

Thank you so much for this pattern! It is just adorable! What a wonderful blog you have here!

Sky May 15, 2011 at 9:58 am

I’m trying to print it from Scribd, but its telling me I have to pay to download and print it…is there a way you can email me the PDF file? I’m having a little girl in a few weeks, but wanted to try to make at least one of these before she gets here! Thanks so much!!

Sky Reply:

After doing some research online, I realized that I have to disable the HTML5 option they offer now and I was able to print it without downloading!!!

Sky Reply:

After doing some research online, I found that I needed to disable the HTML5 option they have and revert back to flash and it allowed me to print it without paying to download it first!!!

Emily May 26, 2011 at 8:01 pm

I LOVE this pattern! I’m wanting to make a gown for my baby to match my nursing gown while I’m in the hospital, and this is PERFECT! The gowns make midnight diaper changes a breeze since you don’t have to perfectly line up any snaps in the dark! I’m new to sewing, though, and I just can’t quite figure out how you attached the sleeves for sewing. The picture is really close up, so I can’t tell. Can you clarify for me? I can’t wait to make it!

Jodie R. June 6, 2011 at 3:21 pm

This is great! I made some today, added them to the flickr pool, and I also linked from my website back to yours :)

Monique June 8, 2011 at 9:46 pm

I love this project – yet another use for thrifted tees! Do you have instructions for making the fold-over mittten cuffs?

Jessi
Twitter:
July 28, 2011 at 11:15 pm

YAY! I did it! :) http://the-webbpage.blogspot.com/2011/07/sewing-for-bebe.html

Thanks for the help on twitter a couple weeks ago!

Becky November 9, 2011 at 3:36 pm

So what do I sew together first? did you finish the neck line or sure a surger?
Kind of lost with the lack of instructions after cutting the pattern.

This is Carrie
Twitter:
Reply:

Hey Becky,

You can find the updated tutorial HERE: http://thismamamakesstuff.com/2011/08/the-new-improved-rockin-baby-gown-tutorial-with-hand-flaps/. Hopefully you’ll find all the instructions you need to finish your gown!

Mrs Thrifty January 14, 2012 at 1:25 am

I hope you don’t mind if I link this page to a frugal forum I belong to. There is a thread looking at re-inventing things and I love your t-shirt/gown. I am going to have a go at making it when I have some time.

This is Carrie
Twitter:
Reply:

Thanks for the link!

Angela January 15, 2012 at 12:33 am

Just made one–turned out great. Thanks for the tutorial/pattern!

Samantha May 27, 2012 at 1:37 pm

Hey just wanted to say you can make the gowns for older babies 0-9 months, if you make the length 16 to 18 inches instead of 14. I am going to put pictures up later. Also made a few short sleeve ones since my baby is a spring baby.

Laura November 13, 2012 at 11:55 am

Do you have any advise on how to create the sleeves ruffled like in the last picture? How much should I add to the sleeve?

Tshirt Designs December 18, 2012 at 11:46 pm

Great to know the — in depth from this blog. :) Design Your Own Shirts

Angel February 16, 2013 at 10:54 pm

I LOVE this tutorial! I made a few for my daughter while I was pregnant with her but now she has grown out of them! (7 months now!) I was wondering what do you suggest to alter (for example, by how many inches) to make this to fit a 7 month old. I’m new to sewing so don’t really know a reasonable amount to add to the sleeves and neck to make them bigger to fit.
Can’t wait to here back! :) )

Best Organizer April 9, 2013 at 5:19 am

Lovely collection of clothes.. i really loved it… :) Storage Cabinet

is there a way to make money online May 26, 2013 at 6:27 pm

I quite like looking through a post that will make people think.

Also, many thanks for permitting me to comment!

Rachel C-H January 23, 2014 at 9:04 am

This looks great– wondering if anyone has scaled it down for a preemie gown? What scaling would fit a TINY baby?

Halley June 30, 2014 at 8:05 am

For one thing, these units are completely eco-friendly,
relying on nothing more than the power of super-heated steam to loosen and remove different kinds of stains and deposits.
Whether you buy OEM vacuum cleaner bags or after-market ones, you do not
need to buy them straight from the company. Try to find brands which are highly regarded, instead of the higher-end models
which will cause you to spend a fortune.

Alisha August 3, 2014 at 2:43 am

Don’t believe the concept that the more expensive the item is, better it will be.
Once you definitively answer that question, you can build a new,
updated strategy from there-before you’re making any
investments that may or may not as focused and efficient as they ought to be.
The front speakers should be placed about 4 – 5 feet away through the TV,
along with the rear speakers should also be placed in the identical manner, but on the rear portion along with appropriate distances from each other.

stretching made August 26, 2014 at 7:24 pm

I think this is among the most significant information for me.
And i am glad reading your article. But wanna remark on some general things,
The web site style is perfect, the articles is really great : D.
Good job, cheers