Making Stuff: Polo Shirt Refashion

by This is Carrie on February 1, 2009

This PTA-loving mom must have a “school-logo shirt”. This one went from a disappointing Men’s Medium Polo, to a women’s fitted polo with puff sleeves.

Mama Krit February 1, 2009 at 11:51 pm

oh wow, thanks!!!
hmm… I wonder which of my husband’s shirts I can swipe to try this…

kelsimad February 2, 2009 at 12:00 am

that is adorable!! Are you going to do a tutorial? If not, how did you alter the sleeve to make it gathered?

Chloe February 2, 2009 at 5:51 am

You little skinny minny – lookin’ hot :)

This is Carrie February 2, 2009 at 5:06 pm

kelsimad–
There is a link to the basic tutorial (I just used the same method I use on my big T-shirts). The sleeve is a little trickier. I don’t have a lot of time for writing tutorials now, so if I were you, I would look for a pattern for a knit shirt with gathered sleeve and use the patten to cut the polo shirt sleeve.

brenbot. February 2, 2009 at 6:03 pm

I like how your dog is jumping up on you.

This is Carrie February 2, 2009 at 6:10 pm

chloe,

it’s the angle – need to remember it for the future!

casserole February 2, 2009 at 6:44 pm

I love this!! I blogged your project at Craft Gossip Sewing Blog:

Kerry May 29, 2009 at 3:10 pm

You did a wonderful recreation! I would recommend shortening the length on the polo next time. No reason to cover your tiny little toosh, its not helping your overall stature.

Tracy Van Reet September 18, 2010 at 9:56 am

Hi,
Am trying to find the tutorial for the Men’s Polo to Women’s Fitted. The link goes to a redirect and then to the opps! the link appears broken screen. I’m working on a sewing/quilting program for the Girl Scouts in SE Texas and am sure this and the T-shirt redo will be a big hit.
Thanks

This is Carrie
Twitter: thisiscarrie
September 18, 2010 at 10:11 am

Sorry about the link. Looks like I need to fix it. The tutorial i linked to is gives instructions on how to turn a boxy t into a fitted t. I did basically the same thong for the polo (but added the gathered sleeve). Here is the good link: http://thismamamakesstuff.com/2008/08/tutorial-fitted-t/

good luck!

small resin ornament October 25, 2014 at 1:10 am

Great site. Lots of useful information here. I am sending it to some friends ans also sharing in delicious.

And certainly, thanks on your effort!