Making Stuff: Tiered Dress for a Little Violinst

by This is Carrie on March 20, 2009

A late birthday gift for Princess’ long-distance BFF.

Top: Hacked up vintage doily
Tier One: Thrifted Pillowcase
Tier Two: Purchased fabric:
(when I saw the violins I knew I had to use it to make something for her.)
Tier Three: Purchased Fabric (loved the randomness)
Tier Four: Eyelet fabric from the stash.
(purchased years ago at my fave little fabric shop on 30th Ave in Astoria Queens–fitting that it’s going back home to Queens.)

Julie March 20, 2009 at 2:17 pm

Oh, goodness, I am in love with that dress!

By the way, I have no idea how I found your blog, but I read/drool faithfully!

Zinone March 20, 2009 at 3:12 pm

OH wow!!! Someone named Phoebe will love it!!!!!!!! Awesome work as usual!

Dragon's Dolphin March 20, 2009 at 7:22 pm

So cute and the violin fabric is perfect for a violiist.

mommymae March 20, 2009 at 7:24 pm

this is lovely! i want one for me!

Dot March 20, 2009 at 9:20 pm

Hi! Just wanted to let you know that we linked to your monogramming instructions from last year, in a tutorial today on making a homemade fabric basket… Great instructions by the way.

Thanks!
Dot

Kage March 20, 2009 at 10:31 pm

Phoebe, mom and the american girl doll LOVE the new dresses.

I am becoming somewhat of a music clothes collector, and this is perfect for my collection!

Chelsey March 20, 2009 at 10:53 pm

So cute.

Brittany March 21, 2009 at 4:39 am

Oh, I love that fabric!

Bethany Heckman October 19, 2009 at 4:08 am

Cute dress! My mom used to have sheets like the fabric from the pillow case. I was suddenly transported to my childhood. I love that you have a 7 yr old. My daughter is 10 and I love the refashion idea but I'm not finding a lot of inspiration for older girls.

Lynn November 10, 2010 at 4:20 pm

Sweet dress and so thoughtful. I’m sure it will be a huge hit. Did your daughter get to help with the planning and sewing?
I too shop thrift stores for neat pieces to remake. I just finished a baby tote bag from a vintage chenille bedspread lined in flannel for a shower gift. My other recent score was a wild corduroy printed multi tiered skirt that became four little skirts for my 2,3,6 and 7 year old grandgirls.
Just discovered your site recently and very much enjoy your inspiring projects. Thanks for sharing your gift with all of us.