Sewing Tools to Use: Pattern Paper

by This is Carrie on March 24, 2009

A roll of paper used to cover exam tables from the local medical supply store–light enough to trace through and relatively inexpensive.

Kathi D March 25, 2009 at 7:39 am

I love that stuff. I have never found it locally, though! I have bought it by the case over the internet.

koala brains March 25, 2009 at 4:41 pm

Good tip – I’ve been trying to figure out what to use. Tissue paper is so fragile and too small for most patterns. Where do you get it?

This is Carrie March 25, 2009 at 5:41 pm

I’m not sure if it’s that much bigger than tissue paper, but it is stronger. I have found it at my local medical supply shops. Look in the yellow pages and call around. I think I got my last roll for $12 (but I know I’ve gotten it cheaper before).

For something bigger and even stronger, I love marker paper. It comes on a huge roll. The only place I’ve gotten it is in the fashion district in LA. One roll was $100 but it lasted for ten years. Need to pick up another.

Krista April 28, 2009 at 7:54 am

I use a roll of newsprint I picked up from my local newspaper for free. I use carbon paper to trace my patterns.

Christian e Naomi Sampson May 14, 2009 at 10:17 pm

may I ask where did you find this?? I’m looking for good and not too expencive paper for pattern making. Thank yOUUU! (:

This is Carrie May 15, 2009 at 1:51 am

Call medical supply stores in your area. That’s who sells it to me for between $10 and $12 a roll.

Cindy January 27, 2011 at 9:28 pm

Another similar option is a roll of drafting trace/vellum it comes in a lot of different widths and is a bit smoother and a bit stronger than the exam table covers. (I took a few drafting classes and used my leftovers for patterns) the price is comparable to the medical paper too.