You’re in a van with 5 other sweaty runners for 27+ hours. There are no beds or showers on the course. And there are only “honeybuckets” for toilets for 200 miles. Some teammates don’t even change their running clothes between legs (I’m raising my hand!!). Good hygiene is pretty much unattainable in these circumstance, but there are a few things that came in handy when it came to our Nuun Relay team’s personal hygiene during the Hood to Coast Race:
1. Smart Girls Who Surf SPF 30+ facestick - This non-greasy, chemical free, organic sunscreen stick was perfect to protect my nose and cheeks during the hot, midday runs.
2. Inperspire Towel – At the end of each run (day or night), everyone was a hot, sweaty mess. These towels were useful & inspiring at the same time.
3. Nathan Power Shower wipes – These wipes are a next best thing to taking an actual shower. Seriously.
4. Pacifica Solid Perfume – After a “wipe shower”, this tiny tin of delicious guava scent made not so scared to give my teammates big hugs at the finish line.
5. Colgate Wisp disposable toothbrush – Our teammate Kelly had the foresight to know these disposable toothbrushes would feel like a little piece of heaven after being up for 24 hours. So glad she brought enough for everyone.
6. Words to Sweat By T-shirt – I’m not afraid to admit it, I did not change my running clothes at all during the race. I brought some extras just in case, but I never used them (which is probably why the solid perfume was a really good idea for me). By the end of the race, my clothes were pretty rank. Putting on a fresh t-shirt felt so good. Putting on a fresh shirt that pretty much summed up the last 28 hours was even better.
You can find all my Hood to Coast posts HERE.
If you’re interested in trying Nuun ( a product I used and loved way before I was on their “team”), use “afternuundelight” at check-out for 25% off (until September 30, 2011)!
**Disclosure – Smart Girls who surf, Inperspire, Nathan and Words to Sweat By all provided product for our team to use during the relay. So did a lot of other companies. As always, I only talk about products I truly love and found totally useful. My opinions are all my own.