Making Stuff: Girls T-shirt dress {vintage maxi skirt refashion}

by This is Carrie on February 3, 2013

Even though I live in the Antique Capital of Southern California, I rarely purchase clothing at the many antique and vintage stores that surround me.  Most of the time, I just can’t bear to pay the inflated cost when someone else has to find me the “good stuff” when I love to find the “good stuff” on my own at thrift stores and garage sales.  But, there are times when I pop in to check out a new antique mall and find something I just can’t pass up.  This time it was a women’s maxi skirt striped with trim and multi-colored embroidery for $20.  It was far to heavy and crazy to stay a maxi skirt for my taste so I hacked off the bottom, making myself a quick, above the knee skirt.  The excess skirt material was just enough to make Pumpkin a fancy t-shirt dress.  Two pieces of clothing made the $20 price tag a little easier to stomach for this thrifter.

Basic Steps:

Supplies: rectangular skirt piece (already hemmed), old t-shirt, 1 1/4″ elastic  (I dyed my white elastic to a vintage brown color)

-Mark waist on the t-shirt at cut off excess fabric length

-Cut elastic the same length as the circumference of the shirt + 1″ for seam allowance.

-Sew elastic in a loop with a 1/2″ seam allowance.

-Divide the elastic into fourths and mark. Divide the skirt top into fourths and mark. Matching 1/4 marks, stretch the elastic while sewing to the skirt (with wrong side of elastic overlapping onto right side of skirt).  A zig zag stitch will allow the elastic to stretch after it’s sewn.

-Sew the other edge of elastic onto the bottom of your shirt using a zig zag stitch.

Truly Myrtle February 4, 2013 at 6:33 am

Love it. I think I’ll show my daughter how to make one of these for herself… she’s just learning to sew :)

jonita mortensen February 4, 2013 at 8:10 pm

Love both the dress and skirt. The fabric is amazing.

caera February 19, 2013 at 2:45 am

Lovely dress. We can also make the skirts with men’s shirts in different designs and colors at home without wasting money.

Business Shirts Online Perth

Ali March 17, 2013 at 7:01 am

I need to make me some of these! So cute!

t shirt dress kohls September 10, 2015 at 12:42 am

The sari has an ageless attraction since it is in no way cut as well as tailored for a given size.
Send even more traffic using Google Adwords, learn how
to make video for You – Tube. This forces them to be in formal dresses almost the whole
day long.

Everette September 12, 2015 at 1:12 pm

My little girl actually wanted a picture display for her
wedding yet discovered it as well expensive.

Flashbox Photo Booths September 12, 2015 at 2:09 pm

I also went online to discover some suggestions, and discovered
that there are lots of free sources for picture display props.

Christmas Tree September 19, 2015 at 4:44 pm

The giant toys marching across the stage will delight your children,
while grownups are charmed by the Dance of the Snowflakes and other well-loved scenes.
These stories have contemporary settings and story twists which
are stimulating and enjoyable. As we have reported many times, liberals have found
racism in practically everything.

12 days of Christmas September 21, 2015 at 4:50 pm

and that the leaves can be alternated to give a green and brown Wreath as the
front and back of the leaves are different colors. It takes just a little creativity and imagination to turn the celebration into simply the most wonderful event at
the office. But from the 3 Wise Men who brought gifts for baby Jesus.

carpet steamers October 9, 2015 at 3:40 am

This one has automatic steaming so no hands-on pumping so it iss considerably a lot easier to wipe floors.