On a slightly ridiculous whim I used my first Mood Sewing Network monthly allowance to purchase a gorgeous piece of designer silk. Before I cut into that gorgeous and expensive fabric to make my dress, I decided to do something I NEVER do. I made a practice dress.
I decided to use this thrifted McCalls pattern from 1978 but knew I would have to shrink it down a bit (not only because it was a size 14, but because I needed the pieces to fit on the very small piece of fabric I purchased from Mood Fabrics. Armed with cheap fabric from the stash with similar hand to the silk and rayon jersey I had planned for the REAL dress, I quickly made up a sample dress.
With a success under my belt, I cut into my designer silk with a new confidence for someone who rarely ever makes herself anything from scratch.
Check out the finished product over on the Mood Sewing Network blog along with more of the story behind the fabric!