My kids love to take their Art Cases to church, on long car rides, and to doctor’s waiting rooms. We love to gift them pre-stocked with colored pencils, a coloring book on one side of the case, a drawing pad for the other and some stickers for the little pocket. But kids will inevitably fill them with their favorite magazines, books, pens, pencil sharpeners to make sure they have what they need when it’s time to go!
The art case is large enough to hold 12 colored pencils and 2 coloring books/pads of paper and even a little treat in the flap pocket.
To personalize it, you can add an applique monogram to the outside of the case.
It’s a great handmade gift for both boys and girls.
Now onto the tutorial:
-1/2 yd double-sided quilted fabric- double-sided thrifted bedspreads work great or fabric can be purchased from a fabric store-watch for a sale because it’s not cheap (you might be able to get by with less yardage if you are really careful at pattern placement, cutting and if your fabric store cuts really straight).
-1 1/2” of 1” Velcro
-1 package of coordinating 1/4” double fold bias tape. 1/2″ works fine too especially if you are using a bulkier quilted fabric.
-Main piece – rectangle measuring 12 1/2” x 38“
-Handles (cut 2) 12 1/2” x 3”
-Pocket (cut 1 from provided pattern)
-Pocket Flap (cut 1 from provided pattern)
Downloadable Instructions and pocket pattern HERE (pdf)
Art Case Marking lines for large rectangular piece:
If you take the time to make all the markings at the beginning, the sewing will go smoother and the tutorial will make sense.
(click on image to enlarge)
1. Bind each end short end of the large rectangular piece, the curved side of the pocket flap and the top edge of the pocket with 1/4” bias tape.
3. Fold back 4 1/2” and sew channels 1” apart starting 1 1/4” from the edge.
6. Fold flap over and topstitch 1/4” away from edge.
7. Fold each strap piece in half lengthwise. Fold in 1/4” on each long raw edge of strap. Topstitch on the edge to close strap. (You could try to sew right sides together, but the thickness makes it really hard to turn).
8. Attach straps at marks using 1/4” seam.
9. Flip straps and topstitch 1/4” from edge.
9a. If you want to add an applique to the outside of your case, now is the time to do it – before you sew up the large pockets.
10. With right sides together, fold each side in to make large pockets (follow measurements from above sketch). Sew 1/4” seam. Flip and press.
(sorry, I did not take a good picture of this step – the photo is after the flip & press).
Fill and enjoy!
copyright 2008 www.thismamamakesstuff.com
for personal use only