I purchased a psychedellic maxi skirt at Aardvark’s way back when we lived in Pasadena (the store has since closed). I had pieced it out to make a couple little aprons, but I saved the top half knowing it was to be made into skirt for one of my girls. The border at the waist and down the front was just too awesome.
1. Cut skirt to desired length leaving enough extra to turn up a wide hem. I added hem tape and used blind stitched finish to make it nice and clean.
2. To make the waist fit, I opened up the back waistband casing and inserted a piece of elastic to cinch in the waist. Tack the elastic at each side seam.
Shrink your Sweater Basic Steps:
1. Cut up side seams, cut off sleeves, cut off hem band. Mark new shoulder seam. Reset sleeves in newly trimmed armhole.
2. Sew new side seams to fit – continue seam up from under part of sleeve.
3. Take in hem band to be about 2″ smaller than the new width of the sweater and reattach to sweater body, stretching band as you sew to fit.