Making Stuff: Rockin’ Baby Gown-Bob Dylan Edition

by This is Carrie on December 1, 2010

The third (and last) baby gown I was able to pump out before the baby was born was made from a Bob Dylan concert tee I picked up at a garage sale ages ago.

It’s so nice to finally have a baby to put in all these gowns.

Find the Rockin’ Baby Gown Tutorial HERE.

There’s also a Rockin’Baby Gown Flickr group.

{ 1 trackback }

handmade baby gown upcycled from women’s dress [with link to tutorial] | Oaxacaborn
March 21, 2014 at 10:24 am

Lana December 1, 2010 at 7:52 pm

That is adorable…the lil’ one too!

Julie December 1, 2010 at 9:42 pm

Awesome, he’s got the hairdo to pull it off, too. I love the double chin- congratulations!

amy December 2, 2010 at 4:41 am

Congrats!! I will be trying to make a upcycled baby gown for my new grandbaby due soon. Thanks for the TUT,Amy

Mia December 2, 2010 at 3:58 pm

I know he’s only a week old but he looks just like grandpa!

Barbara December 2, 2010 at 8:21 pm

I love all of the gowns , but as a dylan fan, this is my favorite. and that’s one sweet baby wearing it, congrats!

Teresa February 3, 2011 at 9:13 am

How do you do the cuffs on the gown sleeves? Those seem very essential.

This is Carrie
Twitter:
Reply:

good question Teresa. I think the cuffs are essential too. I am actually working on a tutorial update with the cuff pattern and instructions. In short, you cut another piece of fabric from the shirt (using the exisitng shirt hem as the hem of the cuff piece and place it on the back half of the sleeve (attaching it with a tuck at the center of the sleeve) Then you hem and sew the sleeve together as instructed. I will try to e-mail you a photo to help explain better. But watch for the new tutorial soon!

Karla Spencer Reply:

Hello! Your gowns are adorable. My daughter (6) begged for sewing machine from Santa. Now mama needs to figure it out. She wants to make stuff for our baby due at the end of April. As a beginner, do you think I can figure these out? I love newborn gowns. And would love to use old tee shirts. How fun! I want to wait till you have the new tutorial with the foldover hand covers though. Could you email me when you have this ready? Thanks so much!

This is Carrie
Twitter:
Reply:

Hey Karla,
My daughter got her first sewing machine at age 6 too. In my opinion, the gown might not be the best first project for you. The curved neck edge hem is a little trick and so it sewing with a stretchy fabric that can sometimes curl on the edge. It might be a little frustrating. But, with a little practice, you’ll be ready for it in no time at all. Or, you can just take a stab at it. It may not be perfect, but it will be handmade by mama and sister and that’s worth even more.

Some good beginner projects might be blankets or burp cloths, then maybe some little pants.

Jessi W
Twitter:
Reply:

Hey there! Any update on the cuff? Thanks!

This is Carrie
Twitter:
Reply:

Thanks for checking up on it. I actually worked on it last week! But, I’m not sure when I’ll have the time to finish it…. keep bugging! It’s the only way it’ll make it to the top of the priority list!

Caitlin March 3, 2011 at 6:18 pm

LOVE THIS! I’m definitely making some. :)

Laura March 4, 2011 at 10:00 am

I found you on the all about the boy series from MADE. I am in love with all these things you make. I had my second boy in October. He’s a little big now for these type of layette gowns but I love the idea so much I might have to make one up for him anyway. I found another blog to follow – I love your style and your story. Keep up the good work.

nina April 21, 2011 at 9:14 pm

OMGosh – you are totally my hero!! I found your website purely by chance all the way here in New Zealand. I can’t wait to have a crack at this. I’m also interested in the tutorial for the sleeves, so i’ll keep checking back for the PDFs. Thanks again! x

Krista August 20, 2011 at 11:14 am

If I wanted to make one of these gowns using just knit fabric (instead of a t-shirt) how many yards would I need? I love these so much and can’t wait to make some!!!

Heather Hana February 17, 2013 at 5:36 pm

Hello. My husband found this Bob Dylan gown online and is dying to have one. Do you make these to sale? If so please contact me by email so I can get one ordered. We weren’t sure if you sold your items or just share your ideas. Thanks for helping out :} Heather and Adam